Is it necessary for Merchant’s Selling Edible Products online to comply with FSSAI norms?
FSSAI norms in India generally apply on all food businesses whether operated on a small scale or big scale, whether operated from a small local retail store or any e-commerce platform. For the grant of the license, it certainly depends on the type of food manufactured, traded or distributed and the revenue generated by the business unit. As per FSSAI, any merchant dealing in homemade food products or any food-related business activity running in any home locality of the country have to get registered under FSSAI food license regulations.
If the Food Business Operator (FBO) is small or tiny then he’ll only have to comply for registration policies of FSSAI, while if the business found to be operated on a medium or large scale then an application for a business food license is mandatory.
For example, Mr. A selling homemade sweets in self-arranged small or medium-sized packages through an e-commerce platform throughout the country have to apply for an FSSAI license to do such business. So, any business whether it is related to the selling of small chocolate boxes to a fully complete meal packed if sold through doors of e-commerce platform requires a certification of FSSAI.
If your e-commerce business has a turnover
- Below 12 lakh– Mere registration under FSSAI records with Form A is required.
- Above 12 lakh and below 20 crore – Have to obtain a State FSSAI license with Form B.
- Above 20 crore– Have to apply for a Central license with Form B.
What Other Conditions need to be followed?
Other than just applying for an FSSAI license registration, an e-commerce seller do also have to comply to following conditions of the food licensing authority as:
- To display the license so obtained at premises of the office so registered with the e-commerce platform or the registered place of business.
- Timely update and inform the authorities about changes made in activities of the food business.
- Appoint a technical person to keep a check over the quality process and create regular check reports to be submitted on routine department checks.
- Furnish the regulatory returns and reports if dealing with milk and milk-related product activities.
- To ensure no other product is traded or manufactured in name of product applied for in license application.
- To ensure cleanliness and sanitary conditions at places of food product manufacturing and storage.
- To ensure proper records of raw material sources, the material used, daily production, tested units to be maintained.
- To ensure proper signs and symbols are used at places of danger and bacterially infected locations.
- Should publish all components and material used in the product manufacturing at product packages.
Why an E-commerce Business Needs FSSAI License?
An FSSAI license approval not only fulfills the legal obligation of the business but also brings certain advantage to it in terms of:
– facilitating trade and commerce making no compromise to the health and safety of consumers and bring more customer satisfaction.
– bringing better sales making for the products competitive in terms of quality assurance.
– limiting government control by fulfilling all legal obligations in a single license.
– To make the promotion of the product more effective.
– bringing more sales venues to the product other than a single commerce platform.