How to Electronically verify your Income Tax Return using Aadhar
The Electronic Verification code EVC is a 10 digit alphanumeric code which is sent to registered mobile number while filing returns online. It verifies the identity of the verifier being an individual to verify his Income Tax Return or that of an HUF of which he is the Karta. It can be generated through e-filing portal of Income Tax Department. It is valid for 72 hours. The EVC can be used by a Verifier to verify his ITR 1 / ITR 2 / ITR 2A / ITR 3 / ITR 4 /ITR 4S. One EVC can be used to validate one return of the assessee irrespective of the assessment year or return filing type as it is a onetime password.
To e-verify your Income Tax Return using Aadhar card, the first thing which needs to be done is linking your Aadhar card to Income Tax Department.The Government has introduced a new process of linking Aadhaar Card to your Income Tax Return. Under this process you can visit the official website of Income Tax Department where a popup window appears on the screen that says link Aadhar card to your e-filing. You need to provide your PAN Card information and enter the Aadhaar Card Number by which you can successfully get your Aadhar card linked.
Once the Aadhaar number is linked to your Income Tax profile, you can generate an Aadhaar OTP for e-verification of the Income Tax Return by following these steps:
- Upload your ITR through the Income Tax e-Filing website.
Once it is done, you will be asked how you want to verify your return. The following options will appear:
- I already have an EVC to verify my return.
- I do not have an EVC and would like to generate EVC to e-verify my return.
- I would like to generate Aadhar OTP to e-verify my return.
- I would like to send ITR-V/I would like to e-verify later.
- Choose the third option of generating Aadhar OTP. A One-time password will be sent to the mobile number registered on your Aadhar which will be valid only for 10 minutes.
- Thereafter, enter the OTP which you have received on your registered mobile number on the page.
- If the correct OTP is submitted, you will get the message “Return successfully e-Verified. Download the Acknowledgement.” This acknowledgement will also be sent to your registered email id. You can also download the acknowledgement to your computer system by choosing the ‘Download’ option.
By following this process, your ITR is acknowledged and you no longer need to send a copy of the ITR-V to CPC, Bengaluru.