Can We Use ATM To E-Verify Income Tax Return Through Electronic Verification Code
Electronic Verification Code
To facilitate the tax-payers, Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) through a notification has allowed the verification of Income Tax Returns for Assessment Year 2015-16 electronically through generating EVC (Electronic Verification Code). If the Income Tax Returns are verified electronically, there will be no need to post physical copy of ITR V to CPC (Central Processing Centre) Bengaluru.
- WHAT IS EVC
- EVC (Electronic Verification Code) comprise of a string of character in form of a locator number that gives a unique identification to electronic documents. It works like OTP (One Time Password).
- EVC would be unique for an assessee PAN and will not be valid for any other PAN at the time of filing Income Tax Return.
- EVC would verify the identity of the person (verifier) furnishing the return of income and this can be generated on E-filing website of Income Tax Department.
- EVC can be used to verify any Income Tax Return such as ITR 1, ITR 2A, ITR 2, ITR 3, ITR 4, ITR 4S.
- EVC is valid for 72 hours.
- Verifier can use more than one mode to obtain EVC and can generate EVC multiple times.
- MODES OF GENERATING EVC
Electronic Verification Code can be generated by any of the following means:
You can use this mode if your ATM card is linked to PAN verified bank account and your bank is registered with the Income Tax Department. This is useful for those assesses who do not have net banking facility.
Follow the steps to generate Electronic Verification Code through Bank ATM;
- Visit your Bank ATM, swipe your card and enter the ATM PIN number.
- Select ‘Generate EVC for Income Tax Filing’ option on the ATM screen.
- The EVC would be sent to your registered mobile number with the bank.
- State Bank of India is the First Bank to launch ‘EVC through ATM’ facility which will facilitate its customers not having net banking account to e-verify their income tax return. Other Banks are expected to launch this facility soon.
- In case Tax Returns are already filed or uploaded, the verification needs to be done within 120 days of filing of return.